Disney shop closing in Carlisle - fashion firm moving in
Last updated at 11:22, Saturday, 28 April 2012
Disney is closing its Carlisle store after its shop in The Lanes was let out to a Dutch fashion chain.
The store will close in two weeks and be replaced with a branch of Dutch jeans retailer Jack & Jones, which will take over the unit at the end of May.
Disney opened in Carlisle three years ago on a temporary lease, taking advantage of reduced rental rates.
David Jackson, commercial director of The Lanes, said that his staff had tried on many occasions to get Disney to sign a permanent lease.
He added: “They have been reluctant to do so and the unit has remained on the commercial market.
“Once we got an offer we were happy with, we gave Disney notice.”
Staff at the store were told of its closure two weeks ago. It is understood that Jack & Jones will employ more staff than are currently employed at the Disney store.
Mr Jackson added: “The new shop will open at the end of June. They are a great retailer to have. We offered Disney another unit within The Lanes but the company declined it.”
A number of other retailers are due to close in the city centre including furniture retailer Chapmans, United Colours of Benetton in The Greenmarket and neighbouring high-end fashion store Jaeger. Jewellers Goldsmiths also closed this year but a number of new stores have opened their doors this year including an American candy store, Stormfront and White Stuff.
First published at 09:00, Saturday, 28 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle McVitie's staff reject changes to working conditions (63 comments)
- Starlings in Carlisle city centre causing major problems (50 comments)
- 15 people transferred after major incident at north Cumbrian hospitals (99 comments)
- Woods used by 'unsavoury' men for sex chopped down (91 comments)
- Carlisle residents vow to nab speeding drivers (38 comments)
- Unpaid overtime at Cumbrian hospitals rockets (22 comments)
- St Bees School to close (134 comments)
- Battle to recover £500,000 in unpaid council tax in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Row after Cumbrian school refuses to host nuclear meeting (47 comments)
- Carlisle wine shop to close (28 comments)
- Anger over new LED street lighting in Carlisle (59 comments)
Court & crime
- Laying charges at hospital doors (2 comments)
- Looks like Yorkshire made a mi-steak with Jeremy Clarkson (4 comments)
- It’s just the ticket (2 comments)
- Why Brampton-on-Sea doesn’t float my boat
- More Anne Pickles