Dead woman was pregnant, confirm Cumbria police
Last updated at 07:42, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
A young woman whose sudden death in Workington has sparked a murder probe was in the early stages of pregnancy, police have confirmed.
The 21-year-old, whose body was discovered in a flat in Newlands Gardens on Sunday afternoon, has been formally named by police as Demi Burns.
As yet, few details about her personal background have been released by police.
But detectives involved in the investigation have said a 28-year-old local man who was arrested on suspicion of murder has been released and bailed to return to the town’s police station in January following further investigation.
After the tragedy, neighbours spoke of their shock at the death of Miss Burns.
Neighbour Alyson Beck, 27, said: “I am quite scared now. Knowing something like this has happened on your doorstep is a little bit scary. I can’t believe it.”
A police spokeswoman said detectives are continuing with their investigation. She added: “Police confirm that the woman has been formally identified as Demi Burns, aged 21, who was sadly found dead in her home address on Newlands Gardens, Workington.”
A Home Office post mortem has been held and further tests are ongoing to establish the cause of death. The coroner has been made aware.
First published at 07:40, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (40 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (11 comments)
- Cumbrian singer Emma Jones fifth in tonight's Britain's Got Talent semi-final (23 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (8 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (7 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (154 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (46 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (19 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (36 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Holy Trinity Church, Millom
- Man left with cuts and bruises after assault in Millom
- Skate park boss and Millom council at loggerheads over contract row (3 comments)
- MILLOM CRICKET CLUB
- Councillor Ray Cole on Millom
- Witness saw Millom killer claim he was ‘the devil’ in back street
- Memories from the 1980s
- MILLOM TOWN COUNCIL