Date set for by-election in Carlisle
Last updated at 14:27, Monday, 03 March 2014
A date has been set for a by-election following the death of a veteran Carlisle councillor.
Labour county councillor Ian Stockdale had served the city for four decades when he died in November, aged 74.
Colleagues said he was a major figure in Cumbrian politics, liked and respected across the political spectrum.
He had previously also served as a city councillor and was a former mayor of Carlisle.
The by-election to decide who should replace him in his Belle Vue seat is to be held on Thursday, April 10.
An official notice of election was posted on Friday.
Candidates have until midday on Friday, March 14, to submit their nominations.
They will contest a seat with just over 4,700 eligible voters.
Voting will take place between 7am and 1pm on April 10. There will be five polling stations: Church of the Nazarene, Moorhouse Road (two stations), St Bede’s School, Newtown School and portable cabin at Hawthorn Grove.
The count will take place that night, with the result expected at about 11pm.
The deadline to register in time to vote is midnight on March 25.
New postal vote applications must be made by 5pm on March 26.
Meanwhile, the starting gun has been fired for local authority elections in May.
Prospective candidates and agents for Carlisle City Council are being given a chance to meet the election’s returning officer, council chief executive Jason Gooding, before the nomination deadline of April 24.
He will give a briefing on the election process at the Civic Centre on March 25.
Seventeen of the authority’s seats will be contested.
They are in Belah, Belle Vue, Botcherby, Brampton, Castle, Currock, Dalston, Denton Holme, Harraby, Longtown and Rockcliffe, Morton, St Aidans, Stanwix Rural, Stanwix Urban, Upperby, Wetheral and Yewdale wards.
First published at 14:09, Monday, 03 March 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|