Dalston Parish Council to discuss 128 homes plan for village
Published at 15:49, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Controversial plans for a housing development at Dalston will be discussed at a meeting tonight.
The proposals by Story Homes feature on a list of planning applications to be considered by the village’s parish council.
Hundreds have signed a petition against moves to build nearly 130 homes on land close to the centre of the village, on fields between Station Road and Townhead Road.
The firm says the scheme would support 60 jobs while the estate is being built, and would be spread over four to five years.
A statement on the Dalston parish website reads: “The parish council will consider its response to the proposed development of 128 houses at its meeting.”
A group was also set up by the parish council to look at the plan.
It has compiled a report that states: “This proposal is the biggest single planning application to be considered by Dalston parish council, at least in recent memory.”
The petition states campaigners are against the development because of its “inappropriate size, density and location”, claiming it will put pressure on infrastructure and amenities and change the rural nature of the village.
Story Homes says the firm’s developments have brought benefits including jobs and boosts to the local economy.
It has said previously the estate would “respect the location and the homes would reflect Dalston’s character”, adding it would be a mix of house sizes that would help the village remain a “vibrant, growing settlement”.
The plan has already been discussed at public meetings and there has been an exhibition of the proposals.
The meeting is being held at the village’s Victory Hall at 7.15pm.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (5 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (127 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (45 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (16 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (32 comments)
- Cumbria's children's service still failing (42 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|