Cumbrian woman fined for benefits fiddle
Last updated at 11:32, Wednesday, 18 September 2013
A woman who fraudulently claimed more than £2,400 in benefits has been fined by magistrates.
Natalie Marie Little, of Wood Street, Maryport, appeared at West Allerdale Magistrates’ Court where she admitted two charges of failing to notify a change in circumstances, which resulted in her receiving benefits to which she was not entitled.
The court heard how Little had claimed housing benefit and council tax benefit in April 2012.
In February 2013 a review by Allerdale council’s Fraud Team uncovered an undeclared tax credit from June 1, 2012.
Little admitted she had failed to declare the credit despite knowing that her entitlement was affected by income changes.
In total she received benefits of £2,425,24 which she was not entitled to.
Little was fined £130 and ordered to pay costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £20.
The benefits will be recovered, the magistrates were told.
First published at 11:30, Wednesday, 18 September 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (9 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (31 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (6 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (34 comments)
- Cumbrian secondary school could close (2 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
- Carlisle city centre to get free wifi (26 comments)
- Call for statue to celebrate Carlisle's famous biscuit workers (19 comments)
- Carlisle braced for pizza war as national chain looks for new site (18 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (101 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (11 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Tesco planning Brampton store (25 comments)
- Brampton Methodist - North Cumbria Circuit
- News from Brampton Parish Council
- North Cumbrian shop bucks internet trend
- Companies responsible for driving
- Haven fixtures and results 2011
- Young Brampton Players rehearsing for mini tour
- Adviser helps pair to cook up their recipe for success
- Carlisle United reveal £1.2 million loss (3 comments)
- Beauty with Julie Morgan