Cumbrian trainee teacher accused of abducting five boys
Last updated at 11:59, Tuesday, 20 November 2012
A trainee teacher has gone on trial at Carlisle Crown Court accused of abducting five 12-year-old boys by taking them on unauthorised trips.
On the first day of his trial, a jury heard how police had also asked 20-year-old John Nathan Alexander Dougan about a claim that he had shown one of the boys a picture of the naked lower body.
Dougan, of Chaucer Road, Workington, has pleaded not guilty to 11 counts of child abduction.
Rob Dudley, for the prosecution, said the trips happened after the defendant, a second-year trainee teacher, volunteered for a west Cumbrian youth organisation.
The barrister said he was told the organisation’s policies included issues such as not being alone with children unless it was a necessary part of the job and the need for parental consents.
“He spent most of his time working in the kitchen,” said Mr Dudley. “He was never asked to take children on trips.”
The barrister then went on to outline five days out that the prosecution say he took the boys on.
Each time, he gave the boys lifts in his own car and the parents of each child later said they would not have given their permission.
One child later told police Dougan showed him a picture of his penis on his mobile phone.
When asked about this he agreed there had been pictures of either his or his partner’s penis on his phone but said the boy had seen it after spotting his phone left on view while driving.
“As a result, he deleted the photo to stop it happening again.”
Dougan agreed he took the boys on trips, saying they were bored but said that he did not know the organisation’s rules.
The case continues.
First published at 11:26, Tuesday, 20 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (20 comments)
- Carlisle man can recall days of the week back to 1801 (1 comment)
- Man who scrapped Cumbrian on-street parking charges to quit (13 comments)
- £2m Carlisle football complex given the go-ahead (22 comments)
- Carlisle woman voted third most influential black person (9 comments)
- Special report: Fifth anniversary of Cumbrian floods (4 comments)
- Cumbrian couple charged £100 for bad TripAdvisor review (40 comments)
- Cumbrian firms blast lack of profitability from winter festival (5 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (87 comments)
- Objections raised over plans for 190 homes in Carlisle (8 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northerners (19 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (3 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (3 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Reserve for the red squirrel
- Barrow's Hairy Biker married
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Cartmel Races
- Good news on march
- Grange Disability Action Group
- Walney pensioner jailed for raping schoolgirl wins right to challenge sentence
- Tom's latest work gets into print
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Car stolen in South Cumbria