Cumbrian trainee seaman faces drug-dealing charges
Last updated at 11:51, Tuesday, 17 June 2014
A trainee seaman has appeared at Carlisle Crown Court on drug charges.
Graeme Donald James Gentles, 24, who appeared in court wearing the uniform of a merchant navy trainee, was accused of seven drugs offences which were said to have taken place between December 1 2011 and October 5 2012.
Gentles, whose home is at Brackenhill, Braithwaite, near Keswick, although he is currently training at a merchant navy college in South Shields, pleaded not guilty to supplying cocaine, lysergic acid diethylamide, mephedrone and ecstasy.
He also denied possessing cannabis and ecstasy with intent to supply them.
Gentles was remanded on bail on condition that he lives either at his home or his college, and that he surrenders his passport.
He will be back in court for a further administrative hearing on July 14.
The court heard the extra time was needed for the prosecution to make further inquiries.
Prosecutor Becky McGregor said Gentles had been arrested on October 5 2012 and the investigation had taken a long time since then partly because he had been away at sea and the 60,000 text messages allegedly found on his mobile phone had had to be analysed.
First published at 11:48, Tuesday, 17 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (16 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (37 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (6 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)