Cumbrian teenager guilty of kissing boy on lips
Last updated at 11:41, Thursday, 29 March 2012
A 19-year-old accused of repeatedly abusing a younger boy has been cleared of all but one of the nine charges he faced.
A jury at Carlisle Crown Court found Christopher Brown, now 19, not guilty of the eight most serious allegations of sexually assaulting the boy when they both lived in Workington a few years ago.
But he was found guilty of one charge – kissing the boy on the lips – and will be sentenced on May 16.
In the meantime he was allowed bail while pre-sentence reports are prepared on him.
Judge Paul Batty QC, who had presided over the three-day trial, told him that even though he had been found not guilty of most of the allegations “this is still a troubling case”.
The prosecution had alleged that Brown’s behaviour started with “a chaste kiss on the cheek” but graduated to inappropriate touching and then to something much more serious.
In evidence Brown admitted hugging and kissing the boy but said he did it only to comfort him when he was going through a bad time at school.
First published at 11:27, Thursday, 29 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (8 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)