Cumbrian runner shatters long-standing fells record
Last updated at 09:53, Monday, 23 June 2014
Cumbrian athlete Steve Birkinshaw has broken a long-standing record to climb 214 fells in six days and 13 hours.
The Lake District runner climbed 36,000m and ran 512km, beating the previous record set in 1987 by fell runner Joss Naylor MBE by nearly 12 hours.
Steve, 45, completed the marathon late on Friday night, covering each of the 214 hills or mountains featured in Alfred Wainwright’s famous seven volume guide to the Lakeland fells.
He started from Keswick on June 14 and ran around 78km a day, reaching the top of more than 30 peaks.
He raised more than £12,000 for the national Multiple Sclerosis Society and a local charity, the Samson Centre.
“It’s all a bit overwhelming to be honest,” he said. “Joss Naylor is an incredible athlete, so to have beaten his record is an amazing feeling. I couldn’t have done it without my amazing support team.
“There were some really tough times out there, but I was spurred on every time I reached a Wainwright top and met someone else who had made the effort to come out and support me.
“I’m also over the moon with the amount of money that people have donated to the multiple sclerosis charities.”
Steve said his final day was “incredible”, and he was joined by “so many other runners”.
“Then [to be] welcomed home by my family and such a big crowd put the seal on everything,” he added.
“It’s fair to say that my legs are a bit stiff now and I may take a few days off before my next run.”
First published at 09:52, Monday, 23 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)