Pensioner's dramatic escape after car crashes over wall
Last updated at 11:55, Wednesday, 16 May 2012
An elderly man had a dramatic escape after his car crashed off the road and over a brick wall.
There were fears the car, which fell eight or nine feet and landed teetering on its side, could crash on to its roof, trapping or injuring the pensioner and explode.
But a group of have-a-go heroes came to the rescue of the 92-year-old driver, holding up the smoking car until rescuers arrived.
One even climbed into the vehicle to turn off the engine.
The accident happened on Ellenfoot Drive, on the Hillside estate in Maryport, at lunchtime on Monday.
The driver and only occupant of the car has not been named but is believed to be from the Aspatria area.
He was transported by ambulance to the West Cumberland Hospital in Whitehaven with what were described as “non threatening injuries” and was released yesterday.
He visited the scene of the crash with his son, Kerry said, and has asked for his thanks to be passed on to all those who helped.
He told her that he would return when he felt better and would like to meet all those who helped.
First published at 11:28, Wednesday, 16 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)