Pensioner's dramatic escape after car crashes over wall
Last updated at 11:55, Wednesday, 16 May 2012
An elderly man had a dramatic escape after his car crashed off the road and over a brick wall.
There were fears the car, which fell eight or nine feet and landed teetering on its side, could crash on to its roof, trapping or injuring the pensioner and explode.
But a group of have-a-go heroes came to the rescue of the 92-year-old driver, holding up the smoking car until rescuers arrived.
One even climbed into the vehicle to turn off the engine.
The accident happened on Ellenfoot Drive, on the Hillside estate in Maryport, at lunchtime on Monday.
The driver and only occupant of the car has not been named but is believed to be from the Aspatria area.
He was transported by ambulance to the West Cumberland Hospital in Whitehaven with what were described as “non threatening injuries” and was released yesterday.
He visited the scene of the crash with his son, Kerry said, and has asked for his thanks to be passed on to all those who helped.
He told her that he would return when he felt better and would like to meet all those who helped.
First published at 11:28, Wednesday, 16 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)