Cumbrian pair damaged 13 cars on drunken night out
Last updated at 11:04, Saturday, 10 November 2012
Two men have been ordered to pay almost £2,500 each after they damaged 13 cars on a drink-fuelled night out.
Joseph Taylor, 21, and Joseph Sewell, 20, – both of Hutton Roof, near Penrith – carried out the vandal spree on July 7 against cars parked in New Road car park in Kendal. They were convicted of criminal damage after a trial at South Lakeland Magistrates’ Court this week.
The court was told that Taylor and Sewell had been in Kendal for a night out and, as a result of heavy drinking, caused damage to 13 cars.
Witnesses saw the incident and contacted the police who were able to arrest them quickly.
Investigating officer Tony Suart of Kendal Police said: “This was a disgraceful act of causing criminal damage to other people’s property without a shred of thought for the damage they caused or the consequences of their actions.
“We don’t want to stop people going out and enjoying themselves, but drinking in moderation will prevent incidents like these in the future.
“People need to be aware that if they lose control and commit a crime then we will investigate and arrest those responsible.
“I would like to thank the local community for their assistance during the investigation which has helped us bringing Taylor and Sewell to justice.”
Taylor and Sewell both received a community order with a condition that they carry out 200 hours of unpaid community work.
Each defendant must also pay £85 costs and compensation to all the victims.
In total they have been ordered to pay £2,491.66 each.
First published at 10:36, Saturday, 10 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (22 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (118 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (58 comments)