Cumbrian nurse 'ruined his life' by having affair with patient, hearing told
Last updated at 14:09, Thursday, 15 November 2012
A nurse faces being struck off after he ‘ruined his life’ by having an affair with a patient while treating her for a drinking problem.
Andrew Wilkinson admitted having a seven-month relationship with ‘Patient A’ when he was investigated over similar claims involving a second woman.
Wilkinson, a keen musician, was working for the Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Team (DART) in south Cumbria at the time.
He told a panel of the Nursing and Midwifery Council in central London how the affair began after they started chatting about their mutual love of pop music.
He said: ‘We had things in common, like music, a mutual love of pop music. I was in a band in Manchester, and what happened between us developed from a personal relationship.
‘It was a big mistake. I know it was wrong. I was very good at my job for 20 years, but this has ruined my life.’
The affair came to light when he was investigated over ‘unfounded’ allegations relating to a second woman known as Patient B who accused him of having a sexual relationship with her.
The nurse’s relationship with Patient A lasted from April 2010 until December 2010 when he finished it.
He was suspended when the allegations came to light and resigned from his post in June 2011. Since then he has not worked, but has provided full-time care for his ill wife. Wilkinson added: ‘I could have sat here and said I didn’t have sex with that woman, and said she made it all up, but I chose not to. I told the truth.”
The panel found Wilkinson’s ability to practice was impaired and the tribunal will now decide what sanction to impose.
The hearing continues.
First published at 13:52, Thursday, 15 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (20 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (114 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (6 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (18 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (57 comments)