X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Sunday, 21 December 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Cumbrian murder trial hears accused had been attack victim

A man accused of murdering a Polish factory worker failed to give police detailed information after they were called to a hammer attack on him nearly two years before, a court has heard.

Piotr Kulinski photo
Piotr Kulinski

Related: Stabbed man was victim of concerted and gratuitous attack, Carlisle murder trial told

One officer said Piotr Zygner did not give a description of those who had assaulted him after the force was called to violence in the city’s Aglionby Street.

Zygner, 30, is one of three people on trial at Carlisle Crown Court accused of the murder of Piotr Kulinski, who was fatally stabbed outside his home in Arnside Road, Harraby.

The court heard earlier in the trial how Zygner, of Currock Road, Currock, Carlisle, had earlier rented a room at Aglionby Street, where two other Polish men lived.

They knew Mr Kulinski and the court heard he later attended a party at the house.

Zygner said his girlfriend was verbally abused by men at the party and he had “stood up to them”.

On December 12, 2010, Zygner said he “saw a couple of people in the doorway” of the house and he was assaulted with a hammer, leaving him with a broken hand.

PC Michael Watson told the court yesterday how he had been called to the incident. Tim Evans, prosecuting, asked if Zygner had provided any information as to what had happened.

PC Watson said “not that I can remember”, adding Zygner had limited English.

Inspector Nils Robinson had also been called out. He said he spoke to Zygner in an ambulance taking him to hospital.

“He told me that he had been assaulted at his home address,” Insp Robinson told the court.

“He told me he had been assaulted with a hammer by two males.

“I recall trying to get a description from him of who had assaulted him. I couldn’t get any description about the two males from him at all.

“I was aware that other officers had been listening on the radio and were waiting for a description so they could start searching the area for these two offenders. I did ask him if he knew who they were and why this had happened.

“He said he didn’t know who these people were who assaulted him.”

Under cross-examination, Insp Robinson said Zygner was upset while PC Watson agreed he was distressed.

Mr Kulinski, who worked at the city’s Cavaghan & Gray factory, died on October 14 last year.

Zygner, Paulina Mucha, 26, and Sylwester Kawalec, 23, all of Currock Road, Currock, Carlisle, deny murder.

Artur Woszczyna, 44, of Beverley Rise, Harraby, Carlisle, and Artur Skoczen, 30, of Ashman Close, Denton Holme, Carlisle, are also on trial, accused of conspiring to pervert the course of justice. They deny the charges.

The trial continues.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Are positive efforts to encourage more women into the nuclear industry necessary?

Efforts to better educate girls at school in sciences, technologies & maths would be more worthwhile

No, unless well qualified women are being turned away at Sellafield's door

Yes, girls and women need to know their career options are limitless

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: