Cumbrian man's ear partially severed as five arrested after fight
Last updated at 12:26, Monday, 23 April 2012
A man suffered a puncture wound to the chest and almost lost an ear in a fight that left three in hospital and led to five arrests.
An anonymous phone call alerted police to a disturbance in Grasmere Avenue, Workington, at 4.30am on Saturday.
They entered the house and arrested five men on suspicion of affray.
All were in their early twenties and from Workington. Three needed medical attention and went by ambulance to the West Cumberland Hospital in Whitehaven.
Police say one man was “quite seriously” hurt although his injuries were not life-threatening.
He suffered a puncture wound to the chest caused by a sharp object, deep lacerations to the back, a partially-severed ear and extensive bruising.
A second man had significant marks on his back and two black eyes. The third had superficial injuries.
All three were discharged after treatment.
Detective Constable Matt Scott, of Workington Police, said: “We were called to the address to find five persons, some with significant injuries, who were arrested.
“The injuries were not life-threatening.
“We are treating the incident as affray and are appealing for anyone who may have heard or seen anything unusual to come forward.”
Police have released the five on bail, without charge, while officers take statements. They are also carrying out forensic tests on various items including a smashed mirror.
The men must report back to Workington police on Friday May 4.
First published at 11:23, Monday, 23 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (22 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (118 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (58 comments)