Cumbrian man’s drunken attack on stranger and PC
Published at 11:51, Tuesday, 20 May 2014
A 32-year-old man escaped jail after he got so drunk on a night out that he repeatedly attacked another man but could not explain why.
Daniel Joseph Trevor Robinson, of Irish Street, Whitehaven, appeared at West Cumbria Magistrates’ Court and admitted assaulting Barry Joe Goodwin on May 2, and attacking a police officer who tried to arrest him.
Magistrates heard that Robinson aggressively approached Mr Goodwin, who did not know him, while he was walking along King Street with a group of friends.
A friend tried to restrain him but Robinson punched Mr Goodwin three times.
Mr Goodwin saw his attacker later in a bar and asked him what the assault had been about.
Robinson responded: “We going to go again?”
Outside later, Robinson punched Mr Goodwin a fourth time, bursting his nose.
Door staff intervened and police were called but Robinson ran away.
When he was caught by police, he kicked out at the officer trying to handcuff him, continuing after police had used a spray to incapacitate him.
Robinson later told police he could not remember anything between leaving the Sunny Hill pub earlier in the evening and police using the spray.
Stuart Pattinson, prosecuting, said he had told officers that somebody who ran away from police as he had done must have been guilty and asked them to apologise to his victims.
Robinson told the court: “I want to say I’m truly sorry. I’m totally embarrassed by my actions.
“It’s not like me. I was on a night out and I got too drunk.”
He added that he was experiencing personal problems at the time but that was no excuse.
Magistrates sentenced Robinson to 90 days in prison, suspended for 12 months.
He was also ordered to pay £100 compensation to Mr Goodwin, £50 to the police officer, whose watch was damaged, and £85 court costs.
He was given a 12-week curfew and 12 month supervision order.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)