Wednesday, 02 September 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Cumbrian man on sex abuse charges made threats, court told

A man pinned a girl against a wall, grabbed her by the throat and warned her not to tell anyone that he had been sexually abusing her, a court heard.

Richard Key, 47, is alleged to have made the threats to the girl after a four-year catalogue of abuse that is said to have begun when she was just seven years old.

Key, of Diggle Road, Longsowerby in Carlisle, was arrested last year after his victim – by now grown up – went to the police.

Explaining why it had taken her so long to talk about what Key had done, she told a relative: “It is something I have had to deal with for a long time.”

Key denied all the allegations she made against him.

At the city’s crown court, Key pleaded not guilty to four charges of inciting the girl to commit gross indecency with him and four of indecently assaulting her.

Prosecuting counsel Jacob Dyer told the jury that the charges were just examples of his repeated behaviour.

After his arrest Key said there was no truth in what his alleged victim had said. He told police did not know why she would have lied.

The trial continues.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Should the law be strengthened to tackle illegal traveller camps?

Yes. Authorities need to be better able to police this

No. The rights of travellers need to be respected

Not until more officially designated travellers' sites are opened

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: