Cumbrian man 'kidnapped and dragged into bushes for sex'
Last updated at 11:35, Thursday, 03 May 2012
A man was kidnapped and dragged into bushes as he walked to work by a fairground worker who threatened to stab him, Carlisle Crown Court heard.
The man, in his twenties, was forced into bushes in Stanwix and told to perform a sex act by fairground worker Christopher Higgins.
Carlisle Crown Court heard how the victim was walking along Scotland Road at night on July 23 last year when he saw Higgins sitting on his bike at Eden Bridges “staring.”
Prosecutor Andrew Ford said: "The victim heard a bike behind him.
“He said he was grabbed by the neck and asked why he was giving the defendant funny looks. He then dragged him down a lane."
“The victim said: "He got hold of me and said "pull your pants down". I said "no" and he said if I didn't do what he said he would stab me. I still said “no” and he grabbed both my arms and pushed me over the bush and asked if I wanted to do this the easy way or the hard way.”
The prosecution say no evidence of a knife was shown to the victim but the victim did what Higgins demanded. Higgins, 24, of Oaklands Drive, Currock, is on trial accused of four charges – one of kidnap, one of kidnap with intent to commit a sexual offence and two charges of causing a person to engage in sex without consent.
He has pleaded not guilty to all four charges.
“I was too scared to run away,” said the victim.
“He said don’t you dare say anything or tell anyone or I’ll come back and hunt you down and kill you.”
The victim then carried on towards his place of work and bumped into his cousin.
Higgins was arrested on July 27 last year at a fairground in Seahouses, Northumberland. He denied all knowledge of the matter.
He said he had an alibi and was in Brampton and hadn’t owned a bike for two years. Mr Ford said DNA evidence from Higgins was found on the victim’s clothing.
The trial continues.
First published at 11:30, Thursday, 03 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)