Cumbrian man jailed for 'ambush' hammer attack
Last updated at 11:05, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
A man who attacked a friend with a hammer after an argument in a pub has been sent to prison for seven years.
John Lowis, 45, was originally charged with attempting to murder 52-year-old Russell Mitchell, who was left permanently scarred from the facial injuries hesuffered in the late-night attack.
But that charge was dropped when he pleaded guilty instead to the less serious offence of causing him grievous bodily harm with intent to do so.
Carlisle Crown Court heard that the incident happened just before midnight on Sunday, August 12 after Lowis, who had been “drinking steadily” for several hours in the Crown pub in Shap, took exception to Mr Mitchell insulting the memory of his mother, who had died a fortnight before.
Lowis, of Mill Crest, Main Street, Shap, left the pub but waited around in Jackson Lane and “ambushed” Mr Mitchell from behind a car as he walked home with his friend William “Sean” Jones. Prosecuting counsel Timothy Brennand told the court Lowis knocked Mr Mitchell to the ground before hitting him with the hammer.
He struck up to ten blows and when the hammer head came off he used the handle to poke him in the eye.
The judge, the Hon Mr Justice Singh, also imposed a restraining order, banning Lowis from having any contact with Mr Mitchell for the next five years.
First published at 11:03, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- The country cures
- Swims aid new pool finances
- Son jailed for attack
- Shoe shop shortlisted
- BAE Systems ships at centre of dispute set to leave Barrow docks after years in limbo
- Santa makes light work of switch-on celebration
- Updated: Barrow drink-drive suspect bailed after crash between two cars and a cyclist on A590
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Drink blamed
- Cumbria brewery closed by rat infestation
- Massive cost of dealing with stray dogs in Cumbria revealed (3 comments)
- Barrow to hold its first Gay Pride night (43 comments)
- NEW WHEELY BIN SCHEME AIMS TO REDUCE WASTE
- Furness Academy: Group presents its findings after investigating attitudes to Barrow
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- FOOD REVIEW: La’l Churrasco, Ulverston (2 comments)
- Barrow man denies drug charges
- Barrow Raiders floodlight work nears completion