Cumbrian man in row with girlfriend had Samurai sword
Last updated at 10:52, Saturday, 13 July 2013
A man who was thrown out of his girlfriend’s home returned with a Samurai sword.
Ryan William Ross, 21, of Honister Drive, Workington, got into an argument with Kelly Rose when she tried to end their three-month relationship.
Carlisle Crown Court heard how Ross “did not react well” to the news, on April 3, and argued with her brother before he was escorted out of the house.
He returned shortly afterwards with a Samurai sword and started kicking the door. Ms Rose told police that Ross appeared “totally out of it” and was visibly drunk.
Ms Rose’s brother told police that Ross shouted threats that he would “chop you up” and “put you 10ft under”, but Ross denied this.
The court was told that Ross showed genuine remorse.
He had been remanded in custody since first appearing in court three months ago.
Sentencing, Recorder Geoffrey Lowe said: “When a weapon is introduced into a conflict, especially when it’s wielded by someone drunk, the result is that more serious injury may follow.”
Recorder Lowe handed Ross, who admitted having a blade in a public place, an eight-month sentence, suspended for two years, as well as a two-year supervision order. He was ordered to take part in a thinking skills class and alcohol awareness initiative, as well as to pay £200 costs and a £100 victim surcharge.
First published at 10:39, Saturday, 13 July 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian bride wins wedding dress battle after death of fiance (10 comments)
- Grey squirrel cull plan in Cumbria (2 comments)
- Drop in pupils offered first choice secondary places in Cumbria (4 comments)
- Barriers going up to keep travellers off Carlisle park (1 comment)
- Carlisle bucks national shopping trend (7 comments)
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (73 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (5 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (31 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|