Cumbrian man hacked woman's Facebook account to ask for cash
Last updated at 11:32, Tuesday, 16 August 2011
A Whitehaven man hacked into a woman’s Facebook account and persuaded one of her friends to give him her bank details so he could get money for online gambling, West Cumbria magistrates heard.
Christopher Appelby Hardy, 21, of Meadow Road, admitted committing the fraud in November last year by falsely claiming to be Stacey Knowles.
He then sent a message to one of her friends, pretending to be her and asking the friend if she could have her bank details to order a Christmas present for her boyfriend.
The friend offered to order the gift on Ms Knowles’ behalf but in another message from his friend’s account Hardy insisted bank details were needed.
He then used those details to gain £107.65, which he gambled away through an online poker account.
Jane Makrill, prosecuting, said Hardy had tried to obtain bank details from several people but his other attempts were unsuccessful.
Defence solicitor Neil Pilling said Hardy was going through a bad period, having fallen out with his girlfriend.
“He used to go on gambling websites and thought I’ll have some fun and do it again,” Mr Pilling said.
He added that Hardy had appeared regularly before the courts from 2005 to 2007, with once appearance in March 2008, but this was the first case since then.
Hardy was ordered to do 120 hours of unpaid work, reduced from 180 hours because of his guilty plea, with £107.65 compensation and £85 costs.
First published at 11:29, Tuesday, 16 August 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)