Man banned from keeping dogs after boy bitten
Last updated at 08:22, Tuesday, 19 March 2013
A 72-year-old man has been banned from keeping dogs after his pet bit a four-year-old boy in a pub.
Magistrates in Workington heard how Barry Jennings’ Perrot de Presa Canario dog Napoleon – or Nap – injured the young boy in the Kirkstile Inn, at Loweswater, last June.
The youngster had been on holiday with his parents when he was bitten during a visit to the pub on June 4.
A police spokesman said that the child, from Liverpool, was bitten on the lower leg, badly enough to require medical attention.
Jennings, who admitted being the owner of a dog which was dangerously out of control in a public place, has until April 24 to rehome Napoleon before the ban, which will last three years, begins.
The News & Star can reveal that Jennings had been in court three months before the attack when he was ordered to keep his dog muzzled after it bit a policewoman.
Jennings, of Bowness Court, Workington, appeared in court last March after a policewoman went to interview him about shoplifting sweets from Asda.
PC Catherine Mullarky went to his home to interview him about the incident on January 19. Jennings was at his car but, when she approached, the three-year-old dog leapt out of the back and grabbed her boot.
Jennings pleaded guilty to shoplifting and to having a dog dangerously out of control in a public place. He said he had taken items from Asda by accident after being overcome by news of his sister’s death.
He said he could not understand why his dog went for the police officer.
After Thursday’s court appearance, Jennings was ordered to pay £250 compensation to the boy and £150 court costs.
He was also given a nine-week curfew from 9pm to 7am, apart from Saturdays.
Napoleon must be kept muzzled and on a short lead and cannot be under the control of anyone under 18.
Magistrates decided the dog should not be destroyed.
First published at 08:21, Tuesday, 19 March 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (5 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (133 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (45 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (17 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Cumbria's children's service still failing (42 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|