Man admits GBH charge - but says he did not kick victim
Published at 12:29, Tuesday, 05 February 2013
A man from west Cumbria has admitted seriously hurting another man in a fight.
But 22-year-old Daniel Hodgson has denied causing the injury by kicking his victim.
And now a judge is going to have to hear evidence to decide for himself exactly what happened in the incident.
Hodgson, of John Street, Moor Row, near Cleator Moor, was charged after he was involved with several others in an attack on David Proud.
He pleaded guilty at Carlisle Crown Court to a charge of causing grievous bodily harm. But he did so only on the basis that he had not kicked Mr Proud – a basis the prosecution refused to accept.
A fact-finding hearing will be held on March 28 at which witnesses will have to tell a judge what they saw.
Hodgson will be sentenced after that.
In the meantime, he was remanded on bail for a pre-sentence report, on condition that he does not contact any prosecution witnesses.
Judge Paul Batty QC warned him that whether he went to prison could depend on whether he was found to have kicked Mr Proud.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)