Man admits 33 sex offences, including three rapes
Last updated at 17:03, Tuesday, 18 June 2013
A man is facing a lengthy jail sentence after he admitted a catalogue of sex crimes, including three rapes.
At Carlisle Crown Court, Trevor Wilkinson, 51, admitted 33 sex offences.
As well as the rapes there were seven serious sexual assaults – some allegedly on a victim who at the time was not conscious; six offences of voyeurism; and 17 other offences, mostly relating to his possession of hundreds of child pornography images.
Two of those offences relate to the defendant’s possession of extreme pornography on March 15 this year.
Wilkinson, who lives in the St Bees area and has worked as a scaffolder at Sellafield, spoke during the hearing only to confirm his name and to enter his pleas, answering guilty to all 33 counts as they were put to him.
Prosecutor Tim Evans told the court that police searched the defendant’s bike shed, and found computer discs storing some of the child pornography he had in his possession, including 90 images categorised as level 5, the most depraved.
One of the admitted offences relates to the defendant possessing 926 indecent still images of children of the second most serious category and 55 moving images of the same category, relating to children aged under 13.
The barrister said the prosecution would argue at the sentencing hearing that one of Wilkinson’s sexual assault victims must have been drugged when he carried out the attack on her. But Brendan Burke, for Wilkinson, said: “He is adamant that nothing of that nature was done.”
Adjourning sentencing until August 5, Judge Peter Hughes QC said that he may have to conduct a hearing to decide whether or not the prosecution claim about the use of drugs to facilitate the sexual abuse is well founded. Judge Hughes said: “I direct that a pre-sentence report is prepared for what plainly will be a lengthy custodial sentence.”
He remanded Wilkinson in custody until the date he is formally sentenced.
First published at 17:01, Tuesday, 18 June 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (48 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)