Monday, 31 August 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Cumbrian 'hypo attack' man cleared of dangerous driving

A motorist who said he collided with two cars because he was having a medical emergency has been cleared of dangerous driving.

Related: Diabetic driver tells Carlisle court crashes caused by hypo 'attack'

Hugh Litke, 61, who is a diabetic, said he suffered a sudden onset hypoglycaemic attack while at the wheel.

Litke, of Stackbraes, Longtown, had been on trial at Carlisle Crown Court.

He denied dangerous driving, saying he could not be blamed for the standard of driving that led to two crashes with oncoming cars.

And a jury took less than 40 minutes to come to a unanimous verdict of not guilty.

Litke suffered the attack while driving his Peugeot 406 on the A7 at Brisco Hill, near Longtown, in October last year.

The court earlier heard he was seen driving “erratically”.

His car was spotted drifting across central white lines, speeding up and slowing down without reason and narrowly missing oncoming cars and lorries.

He was seen to drive onto a grass verge and hit the wing mirror of one car and collide with another.

Nobody was hurt.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Have we reached saturation point with bars in the city?

No - the more the merrier. It helps to have choice

Yes - we could do with more specialist shops, not bars

As long as they are not all the same I don't mind how many there are

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: