Cumbrian girl, 8, has 14in cut off her hair for charity
Last updated at 11:52, Monday, 03 March 2014
It was a case of ‘hair today, gone tomorrow’ for Amy Blaylock.
The plucky eight-year-old from Houghton, near Carlisle, had 14in cut off her long tresses to give to the Little Princess Trust, which makes wigs for children who have lost their hair through cancer treatment.
She also raised £750 for the charity in sponsorship.
Amy said: “My mum and I were watching Children in Need and I saw this boy getting his head shaved for the Little Princess Trust.
“I said ‘I could do that’. Mum said I couldn’t get my head shaved but I could have my hair cut.
“I think I might miss my long hair a bit but it will be worth it.”
Mum Karen said: “She’s never been one for having her hair cut so this is a big thing for her.
“We set up a page on the JustGiving web site and we’ve had donations from all over the country and from family in Ireland.
“The aim was to raise £350, because that what it costs to make a wig, but we have raised enough for two.”
The sponsors included Amy’s sisters Rachel, aged 12, and Katie, six, as well as friends at Houghton Primary School.
The job of cutting her hair on Saturday went to Susan Wright, owner of Sonata Hair Design.
Customers of the salon in Carlyle’s Court, Carlisle, contributed £85 in sponsorship.
She said: “We’ve never had anybody who has done this sort of thing before, especially someone so young. She’s great.”
Singer Jessie J – who will perform an open-air concert at Carlisle Racecourse on July 27 – donated her famous black locks to the Little Princess Trust last March after having her head shaved live on TV for Comic Relief.
Find more about the charity at www.littleprincesses.org.uk.
First published at 11:31, Monday, 03 March 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)