Cumbrian friends who won £1 million on lottery named
Last updated at 16:51, Monday, 29 July 2013
Four friends have struck it lucky and won £1 million on the lottery.
The quartet, who are all from Barrow Island, Barrow, are celebrating winning the cash in Friday night’s Euromillions raffle.
Rob McAloone, Mike McGarry, Will Middlehurst and a 40-year-old, who did not wish to be named, were staggered to learn they will each pick up £250,000.
The men have been in a syndicate for 17 years. Mr McAloone discovered they had a big win when he checked their ticket at Ramsden Dock Road Post Office on Saturday morning.
Their ticket is usually bought at the Barrow Island post office but this time Mr McAloone’s nephew had bought it at a different shop.
The lucky four were enjoying a quiet celebration drink at their regular, The Devonshire Hotel, in Ramsden Dock Road, with family and friends yesterday.
BAE worker Mr McAloone rang the lottery office to confirm the win.
Mr McAloone said: “It hasn’t sunk in. They said we had won £1m, I told my Mrs and she said ‘you’re joking’.
“I was shaking like a leaf.”
Mr McGarry, 60, who also works at BAE, added: “When they rang I was just in disbelief. We are over the moon. We have been friends for 20-odd years. This happens to other people.”
Mr Middlehurst, 46, is a worker at the town's gas terminal.
His wife, Zoe, said: “It’s a lot to take in. We need to pinch ourselves. Everyone has been really supportive.”
A family member of the fourth winner said: “They are all good, hard-working lads and so are their wives. We are really pleased for them.”
The friends are still deciding what they will do with their winnings.
First published at 12:53, Monday, 29 July 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)