Cumbrian firm lands £8.5m deal to build police station
Last updated at 12:54, Wednesday, 26 June 2013
A west Cumbrian building firm has landed a contract to build a new £8.5m police station in the county.
Thomas Armstrong (Construction), which was founded in Cockermouth and is now based in Maryport, will build the new facility in Barrow.
It is hoped the new police station will be operational in 2015.
Cumbria’s Police and Crime Commissioner Richard Rhodes said: “People will benefit locally as well with Furness Enterprises being used to promote the local labour and supply chain.
“Work is currently underway to conclude the contract formalities. Subject to final detailed planning permission, construction is expected to start on land owned by the police and crime commissioner for Cumbria at Andrews Way, Barrow, in early autumn.”
The project is part of the joint Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner and Cumbria Constabulary’s estate strategy to improve its estate and provide “sustainable, efficient and fit for purpose accommodation for its officers and staff”.
Some officers currently located in the Ulverston police station will also transfer to the new station.
First published at 12:36, Wednesday, 26 June 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|