Cumbrian fire helmets shipped to Macedonia
Published at 11:44, Thursday, 10 April 2014
Firefighters’ helmets from west Cumbria are being shipped across Europe to be used in Macedonia.
The equipment from Sellafield’s fire and rescue team includes six redundant helmets – worth £1,500 – and is being sent through the charity Operation Florian, which was set up by British firefighters to send kit to developing countries.
Geoff Lee, Sellafield’s emergency management planning officer said: “We no longer have a use for them (the helmets) as our kit has been upgraded but we didn’t want them to go to waste. “The countries we help are not as fortunate as us and do not have the standard of equipment that we do, they are using very basic kit to fight potentially very dangerous fires.
“Safety is of utmost importance at Sellafield Ltd so anything we can do to help fellow firefighters stay safe and potentially save lives is fantastic.”
At the handover, Steve Darby, Operation Florian co-director and volunteer, said: “The support from Sellafield Ltd is really appreciated at Operation Florian; the company has supported us for a number of years, continually sending us redundant fire fighting equipment that is vital for third-world countries.
“Sometimes we have to buy equipment but to do that we have to fundraise, so obviously each donation that comes in allows us to save that time.”
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (74 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss ditches Elevation for Gabrielle's Dreams (23 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (101 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (52 comments)
- Work to start 'within weeks' on new supermarket in Carlisle (22 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (49 comments)
- Shock sponsor for Workington's new academy school (25 comments)
- Underage drinkers caught driving by Cumbria police (3 comments)
- 'We want hospital we were promised', MP tells 4,000-strong health rally (56 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (13 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|