Cumbrian father-of-two jailed for squalid relationship with girl
Last updated at 15:20, Wednesday, 28 March 2012
A married man who embarked on a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old girl has been sent to prison for 32 months.
Mark Hemingway, a 38-year-old father-of-two from Moor Road, Stainburn, Workington, was also ordered to register indefinitely as a sex offender and banned from having unsupervised contact with children.
At Carlisle Crown Court today, Hemingway pleaded guilty to seven charges of sexual activity with a child and one of arranging the commission of a sexual offence by planning to spend the night with her at a hotel in Chester.
The court heard Hemingway – described as “a man of exemplary character” - got to know the girl by talking to her.
He then took her out in his works van, where they engaged in various sexual acts. They did the same thing at her house when her parents were out and at his, while his wife wasn't there.
The court heard they never had full sex.
Passing sentence, Judge Paul Batty QC told Hemingway it was obvious he had been “completely besotted” by the girl and had entered a “torrid and squalid relationship” with her even though he knew how wrong it was.
First published at 13:21, Tuesday, 27 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)