Cumbrian drink-driver had only had 'couple of pints'
Last updated at 13:43, Monday, 25 August 2014
A warning has been issued to summer revellers after a man was disqualified from driving – despite drinking just “a couple of pints”.
Rory George Amos, 25, of Newby East, Wetheral, appeared before Carlisle magistrates on Friday charged with drink-driving.
The mechanic had been driving along Kingstown Road, Carlisle, at about 7pm on Friday, August 8 when he was stopped by police.
Officers told the court that the driver smelled strongly of alcohol and subsequently failed a roadside breath test.
A further sample taken at Carlisle police station revealed Amos had 53mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35.
John Cooper, defending, told magistrates: “It still seems to be a common belief that if you drink only two pints you will be okay.”
He went on to say that the sooner people know and realise this is not the case, the better.
The court heard that Amos had only had a couple of pints and was upset and disgusted with himself.
A number of character references were handed into the court from his employer and friends.
Magistrates disqualified Amos from driving for 15 months, fined him £350 and ordered him to pay prosecution costs of £85 and a £35 victim surcharge.
He was also offered the drink-drivers’ rehabilitation course. If passed successfully, this would reduce his ban by 15 weeks.
First published at 13:41, Monday, 25 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)