Cumbrian carriage legend injured at Lowther showground
Last updated at 10:40, Saturday, 09 August 2014
Two people needed medical treatment after a carriage driving incident at the Lowther showground.
Legendary carriage-driver George Bowman senior was airlifted to Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary with head and chest injuries following yesterday's incident.
His condition was last night said to be stable.
The 79-year-old, from Penrith, was believed to have been driving a carriage at the Lowther showground last night when a horse ran away and it overturned.
Mr Bowman senior was thrown from the carriage, suffering head and chest injuries.
The Great North Air Ambulance’s Pride of Cumbria helicopter was called at about 4.50pm.
A spokesman said that the casualty was treated at the scene by on site medical staff and the GNAAS doctor and paramedic, before being flown to Carlisle’s Cumberland Infirmary in a stable condition.
He added: “A 23-year-old female sustained minor injuries in the same incident but was discharged at the scene.”
It is believed that Prince Philip, who is in the county for the show, may well have been a witness to the accident, as he and Mr Bowman are friends because of their mutual love of the sport.
Friends and family of the world carriage-driving champion took to social media sites last night to reassure people that Mr Bowman would be okay.
He is described as being fine, suffering mainly from cuts and bruises.
Don’t miss Monday’s News & Star for full coverage of the Lowther event
First published at 06:53, Saturday, 09 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (105 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (17 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (44 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (36 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers (10 comments)
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (7 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)