Thursday, 03 September 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Cumbrian car repairs garage fined after mechanic badly burned

A Cumbrian garage has been fined after a mechanic was badly burned while trying to cut the top off an empty oil drum.

The 26-year-old was using a propane torch to remove the lid when the remaining oil inside the drum set alight, causing an explosion. He suffered burns to his hands and arms and was kept in hospital for five days.

The owner of Windermere Auto Centre, Kankku Ltd, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

At Kendal Magistrates’ Court, Kankku Ltd pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 6 (1) of the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 by failing to minimise the risks to which employees were exposed.

The company, of Victoria Street in Windermere, was fined £6,000 and ordered to pay £4,746 in costs.

Kankku Ltd was also ordered to pay £500 in compensation to the worker.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Should the law be strengthened to tackle illegal traveller camps?

Yes. Authorities need to be better able to police this

No. The rights of travellers need to be respected

Not until more officially designated travellers' sites are opened

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: