Cumbrian brothers cleared of 'dragged from car' robbery
Last updated at 13:22, Friday, 09 November 2012
Two brothers have been cleared of robbing a man after a week long trial.
Russell Roberts, 29, and Jonathan Roberts, 34, had both denied robbing Jonathan Nichols, who said he was dragged from his VW Golf car in Clayton Avenue, Cleator Moor, on May 3 last year.
Russell Roberts, of Dent Place, Cleator Moor, and Jonathan Roberts, of Gillfoot Road, Egremont, admitted they were in the general area of Cleator Moor but denied any involvement in a robbery.
They were cleared by the jury yesterday afternoon.
Earlier in the week, Mr Nicholson was accused in court of falsely accusing the brothers because he was a drug dealer and owed money by one of them.
Defence barrister David Birrell accused him of making a false allegation because he was owed £600.
Mr Birrell accused Mr Nicholson of making the whole story up.
He questioned how there were no witnesses to the alleged robbery, even though it happened on a busy street on a sunny Bank Holiday. And he asked how Mr Nicholson, though unemployed for several years, managed to be driving a decent car.
“It’s because you make money selling drugs, don’t you?” he said. “You are a drug dealer. You sell cannabis and what is known as plant food.”
Mr Nicholson said that was not true, although he admitted police had spoken to him in the past about drug dealing.
Mr Birrell said Russell Roberts owed Mr Nicholson £600.
“He had owed you money for some time, hadn’t he? And that angered you,” said Mr Birrell.
“No,” Mr Nicholson replied.
First published at 11:52, Friday, 09 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years