Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 24 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Cumbrian attack dogs facing death sentence

A judge has told the owner of two “out of control” bull terrier type dogs which attacked two other dogs that he will have to come back to court in a month to show why they should not be destroyed.

One of the jack russell dogs which was attacked by the two terriers needed surgery.

At Carlisle Magistrates’ Court yesterday, Christopher John Banks, 28, of Kirkland Avenue, Wigton, pleaded guilty to two offences of having a dog that was dangerously out of control in a public place.

Adrienne Harris, prosecuting, described how the 15-year-old boy who owns the jack russells was walking past Banks’ house on August 22 at around mid-day when the attack happened.

The two terrier dogs ran at his two pets.

One of the jack russells, called Rosie, was grabbed around the neck and then bitten all over its body, the court heard.

The second jack russell, called Jazz, ran away but was heard squealing. The teenager tried to pull one of the terriers off his pet, but its jaws were locked on to the smaller dog, and the boy was bitten on his hand as he struggled to prise open its mouth.

A neighbour who heard the commotion came to help, the man eventually getting the smaller dog free.

A written statement was read aloud in court saying the boy took the injured jack russell to a vet.

It had numerous puncture wounds on its back and side, the wounds consistent with having been inflicted by a large dog.

The jack russell had to undergo an operation, while the boy was also advised to be treated by a doctor.

Tariq Khawam, defending, said Banks was extremely sorry for the incident and concerned for the young boy who was injured,

The lawyer said Banks had let the two-year-old terrier dogs out to do their ‘business’ in the garden, and then answered a phone call.

It was only when he finished the call that he realised only one dog had come back into the house.

He then saw what was going on outside, but that a gate neighbouring his home had been left open by someone else, he told the court. That was how the dogs had escaped on to the public footpath.

Judge Gerald Chalks told Banks that the attack had been a “serious incident”.

The defendant was given a one-year community order with 120 hours of unpaid work.

He must pay compensation to the boy of £200 and a vets bill of £190 plus court costs of £85.

Judge Chalk told Banks that he must come back to court on January 20 with evidence to show why his two dogs were not dangerous and why they should not be destroyed under the 1991 Dangerous dogs Act.


News & Star What's On search


Does St George's Day make you proud to be English?

Yes. It's a national day to celebrate all things English

No. All this nationalism turns me off - and he wasn't English

It's Shakespeare's birthday. That's something to be proud of

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: