Cumbria to get final £7m to repair flood-damaged roads
Last updated at 12:17, Thursday, 08 August 2013
Cumbria is set to get an extra £7 million in funding to help repair roads which were damaged during 2009’s floods it has been revealed.
Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin made the announcement during a two-day visit to the county.
The minister is tomorrow expected to be in Warwick Bridge, to look at the case for detrunking that stretch of the A69, as well as Windermere, to unveil his plans to electrify the Windermere branch line.
Cumbria’s roads were damaged by devastating flooding in 2009 are to be repaired thanks to extra Government funding the Transport Secretary announced today.
Cumbria County Council is set to receive a further £7.2m to allow much-needed repairs to be carried out to highway slopes, enhanced drainage, culvert repairs and repairs to footways and bridges.
Main Street in Cockermouth is also set to benefit and will be restored to the standard it was before the flooding.
Mr McLoughlin said: “Reliable local highways are crucial to communities and provides important links for people to work, shops, services, families and friends.
“The flooding that Cumbria encountered in 2009 devastated many roads and I know how important it is for the people in the area for the repairs to happen.
“That is why this Government has been committed to working with Cumbria County Council to ensure this happens.
“I am pleased to announce further funding to support Cumbria County Council's vital work.”
The additional funding will be the final payment to the county council to help restore the damaged infrastructure – so far the Department for Transport has paid more than £18m to the authority to help fund the repairs.
Following the floods the then prime minister Gordon Brown pledged an extra £1m to help communities ravaged by the devastation during a visit to the county.
Cockermouth’s historic Trout Hotel faced a £3m repair bill after its ground floor was destroyed by the floods .
The Association of British Insurers warned the cost of the damage from the Cumbria floods last year to the industry as a whole had topped £200m.
First published at 12:11, Thursday, 08 August 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
very disappointing to see stop go boards up at warwick bridge while the transport secretary made his visit. blatant attempt to build up traffic to mislead him.
Make your comment
Have your say
- Pub's plans to stay open until 4.30am blasted by council (21 comments)
- Ex-Cumbrian health chief says working across Border 'a breath of fresh air' (5 comments)
- Bus cuts across Cumbria loom in bid to save £1.3m (38 comments)
- Hospitals smoking ban goes too far, says Carlisle councillor (70 comments)
- Allerdale set to back Government proposal to sideline county council in nuclear store search (54 comments)
- Can Carlisle's Castle Way cut it in the future? (27 comments)
- Cumbrian beauty queen overcomes cruel internet bullies (10 comments)
- Carlisle dad fined for cycling with daughter on shoulders (45 comments)
- Major police operation in Carlisle area blighted by criminals (12 comments)
- North Cumbrian hospitals struggling to recruit staff (14 comments)