Cumbria row man was ‘completely out of control’
Published at 11:48, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
A MAN with a history of violent knife crime became “completely and utterly out of control” in an argument with a lifeguard at a Cumbrian holiday complex, a court heard.
Lee Francis Burns, 27, who has convictions for robbery, race-hate and domestic cruelty, was described by a judge at Carlisle Crown Court as having knives as “part and parcel of his make-up”.
The former Maryport man had not long been out of prison after a ten-year sentence for another offence of violence when he was arrested following a disturbance at the Solway Holiday Village in Silloth.
He was drunk when he got into a furious row with lifeguard Duncan Watson, who had intervened in a dispute he was having with a 15-year-old boy.
Burns became increasingly aggressive, and threatened to burn the place down. When the police arrived he threatened to shoot people.
Burns was partially subdued with an incapacitant spray, but continued kicking and head butting the cage into which he was put in the police van, said prosecutor Becky McGregor.
At the police station a craft knife was found in his trouser pocket.
Burns, who used to live in Maryport but has recently been living in Lees New Road, Oldham, pleaded guilty to affray and unlawfully possessing the knife.
He was jailed for three years and three months.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)