Cumbria police will search children for fireworks
Last updated at 12:07, Thursday, 18 October 2012
Police have warned they will search children suspected of carrying fireworks in public to prevent trouble in the build-up to Bonfire Night.
Officials from Trading Standards will also be carrying out undercover stings to catch shop staff selling explosives to underage buyers.
The Cumbria-wide crackdown in the weeks leading up to November 5 will also see extra police patrols on the streets and education work with youngsters to warn them of danger.
Public agencies are joining forces during the coming month to nip potential problems in the bud. The firework season has sometimes coincided with a rise in reports of antisocial trouble.
Police can hand out on-the-spot fines to anyone who throws or sets off fireworks in a street or public place.
They say anyone under-18 should not be in possession of fireworks in public.
Chief Superintendent Don Spiller said: “The majority of people celebrate the bonfire season safely.
“However, there are always a few individuals who cause us concern by either misusing fireworks or attempting to buy them underage.”
Police say work is underway to “stop trouble before it starts”.
Chief Supt Spiller added: “In addition to laying on extra high visibility patrols, we are working closely with retailers and licensees who are actively helping us ensure fireworks do not get into the hands of under-18s.
“Young people who we suspect to be carrying fireworks can expect to be searched, have the fireworks seized and then be taken home to inform their parents.
“Anyone caught misusing fireworks should expect to be handed an on-the-spot fine.”
Angela Jones, Trading Standards service manager, added: “Officers from our team will be carrying out routine inspections and underage sales test purchase operations.”
The fire service is visiting schools and free activities will be offered to children and teenagers.
Sgt Mike Kelly works in the police team covering the west of Carlisle.
He said: “Trading Standards, district councils, the fire and rescue service and housing providers have already been busy providing education, carrying out preventative measures and raising awareness of potential problems.
“The police enforcement stage will start this weekend.
“Generally fireworks cannot be possessed by people under the age of 18, they cannot be thrown in the street and in general cannot be set off after 11pm.
“These are the types of behaviour the police will be targeting to try to ensure safety.”
Police are also urging residents to keep their bins as secure as possible after a wheelie bin was set on fire on Boundary Road in Carlisle earlier this week.
First published at 11:49, Thursday, 18 October 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
@Bobby Dash - sorry, but it's not " one night of the year", that's the trouble - it's about 4 weeks before and several days afterwards, and every time the 5th doesn't fall on a Friday or Saturday, people (grown adults mind you) feel it is their god given right to let off the fireworks on any night that suits them.@Brian - we didn't ask you, you were invited to "Have Your Say".In my opinion, when I was a kid many years ago, it was de-rigeur to buy some fireworks with your mates and let them off in the street days before, all part of normal growing up. Accidents were few and far between.
JJ, yes I am for real. There is too much namby pamby treatment of kids these days. Most of you sound like you have had the joy sucked from your lives..... It's one night of the year!! What are we banning next, trick or treating is bound to be a contentious point!? Christmas is around the corner, kids will be mithering you for presents, stop it now, suck the joy from their lives as well.........!
View all 22 comments on this article