Cumbria police probe disorder at legal drag hunt
Published at 16:42, Tuesday, 18 March 2014
Claims that a fox was killed and a hunt monitor assaulted at a legal drag hunt are being investigated by police.
Officers have appealed for information about various incidents said to have taken place on Saturday in the Grisedale Beck area of the Eden valley.
Extra police had to be deployed to ease tensions between the hunt supporters and about 15 monitors who had turned up to protest at the event.
Police say the objectors "clashed verbally" with those who were there to watch the hunt.
The force says it has been told that:
- a fox was killed during the hunt. "A number of other people were identified as being in the area at the same time, however when police spoke to them they advised they did not witness this and did not provide any information," said a force spokesman.
- a ‘hunt monitor’ was assaulted by a supporter. The victim received no injuries.
- there was a collision between a vehicle and a pedestrian at Grassthwaite How. "Police officers spoke to a number of people who were in the area, however no-one saw the incident or had any information," added the spokesman.
Sergeant John Chambers said they would investigate allegations from all parties.
"However, in order to do this we need cooperation from the public and for them to give us information about what they have seen.
"We also understand there may be video footage of criminal activity and we would appreciate those with footage to share it with us to help with our investigations.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101 and speak to an officer from the Eden Neighbourhood Policing Team.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|