X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Cumbria police probe after firework shoved through letterbox

Police are investigating after a lit firework was shoved through a letter box.

A man was in the house when the firework was dropped through the front door at The Crofts, in Silloth.

He was not hurt but the incident caused around £100 of damage and could have been far worse.

A Cumbria Police spokesman said: “It was very lucky this was not a more serious incident.”

It sparked safety warnings from the emergency services and event organisers ahead of Bonfire Night tomorrow .

Anti-social incidents increase at this time of year, with a daily average of 15 across Cumbria rising to 35 on Bonfire Night.

Cumbria’s deputy chief fire officer Ian Cartwright, , said: “Fireworks are explosives which burn at extremely high temperatures and can cause serious or even fatal injuries.

“Of course we don’t want to spoil anybody’s fun; we’re just asking people to think about the potential dangers with fireworks and bonfires and take the appropriate steps to keep themselves and their friends and family safe.”

Alan Dinning, chairman of Dalston Recreation Association, is urging visitors to the village’s bonfire tomorrow to take extra care.

A cow had to be put down following the event two years ago after it ate a discarded sparkler which became entangled in its gut.

Mr Dinning explained: “We are asking people not to bring their own fireworks – especially sparklers.

“A calf became ill a couple of years ago after eating a sparkler so we spend a lot of time cleaning up the morning after to make sure there are no fireworks left on the ground.

“Our advice is not to bring sparklers to the bonfire as it is also a safety problem as children can burn themselves.”

Chief Superintendent Steve Johnson, from Cumbria Police, said: “It is important that everyone is responsible at this time of year.

“Halloween night saw a small number of anti-social incidents being reported, with the majority of people appearing to enjoy themselves and respectful of other people. We would like to see the same on Bonfire Night.”

Derek Cartwright, director of operations for the ambulance service, said: “We just want to ensure people are aware of the potential dangers surrounding Bonfire Night.

“Last year, the number of emergency calls received by the trust over the bonfire weekend, increased by eight per cent equating to approximately 700 calls.

“If you are going to have a private party then please remember to exercise caution and don’t allow children anywhere near fireworks or bonfires.

“Injuries dealt with last year ranged from minor burns to serious life threatening injuries as a result of exploding aerosol cans.”

Cumbria Fire and Rescue service also advises against building fires too early, and warned never to put foam filled-furniture, tyres or aerosols onto a bonfire.

Meanwhile, police want anyone who saw anything suspicious in The Crofts area of Silloth on Friday to contact them on 101.

DHemming@cngroup.co.uk

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Should finances and loans deter would-be students?

Yes, you don’t want to be in debt for years

No, qualifications will get you a better career

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: