Cumbria police investigate 'arson attack'
Last updated at 17:28, Monday, 18 August 2014
Police are investigating a suspected arson attack in Whitehaven.
Firefighters were called to a vehicle blaze on Wasdale Close, Whitehaven, to find the blaze had spread to kitchen of a property. It also damaged a shed, three motorbikes and a taxi.
Gas canisters had warmed up during the blaze and subsequently needed to be cooled down.
Firefighters went to the scene at around 5.20pm yesterday and used two hose reel jets to put the blaze out.
Now police are seeking witnesses to the incident, which a spokesman described as a “suspected arson”.
Detective Sergeant George Atkinson said: “This incident could have had tragic consequences. It is lucky that the family who live at the house were on holiday.
“Had they been in the house they would have been in an extreme danger.”
“It was still light so someone surely must have seen something,” he added.
Officers have asked anyone in the area between 5-5.30pm on Sunday to come forward by calling police on 101.
Alternatively, Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously on 0800 555111.
First published at 17:01, Monday, 18 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)