Cumbria police arrest five on suspicion of rape
Last updated at 11:07, Monday, 20 February 2012
Five men have been arrested on suspicion of rape after a woman suffered what police say was a serious sexual assault late at night in west Cumbria.
The attack happened some time on Saturday night or Sunday morning close to Market Place in Whitehaven.
It came to light when the woman, in her early forties, was found in a distressed state at 8.20am by an elderly man who was walking his dog.
The unidentified pensioner stopped to talk to the woman after realising she was upset.
Five men were in custody today being questioned as part of the investigation.
Their ages were said to range from a suspect in his early 20s to another aged more than 50.
A spokesman for Cumbria police said: “At this time, five persons have been arrested and are assisting police with the investigation.
“Police are not looking for any other people in connection with the investigation.”
The spokesman said that police would like to contact the elderly man who helped and spoke to the woman.
“Police would be grateful if this helpful member of the public could get in touch as soon as possible,” added the spokesman.
Any person who can help the police investigation should contact either Detective Sergeant George Atkinson or DC Jim Gratton at Workington CID.
They can make contact using the police non emergency number dialling 101.
First published at 07:38, Monday, 20 February 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (22 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (118 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (58 comments)