Ex-National Front activist’s racist Facebook posts
Last updated at 12:17, Wednesday, 22 January 2014
A former National Front activist has been given a community order after he posted abusive comments on a Facebook page devoted to part of Carlisle.
Thirty-year-old Kevin Hartness, of Borland Avenue, Botcherby, wrote messages “of a racial nature with a sinister tone”, Carlisle Magistrates’ Court heard.
The court heard how he made “disparaging remarks” about Polish people on a “Spotted Botch” page, some criticising them and calling on them to leave the area. Others were anti-Semitic and about World War Two.
Hartness, who represented himself and admitted sending menacing messages over a communications network, told police that he “used to be an active member of the National Front but doesn’t hold their views now”.
He also told them he was a skinhead when he was about 13.
Hartness said he admitted the comments he made about the Polish and the Jews and the war were unacceptable. “I don’t hold those views now and would like to apologise,” he told the court.
The court was told he has 15 previous convictions for 29 offences, some for football-related disorder and he was given a football banning order in 2009.
Pam Ward, prosecuting, told the court told there had been a mistake with the “administrator” of the site. “The posts he sent in were printed in full without any alteration, all his comments were there for the public to view,” she said.
Hartness said he thought the site was only for the people of Botcherby to air their views and make comments.
“I’ve maybe got a misunderstanding of how the site works,” he said.
“I thought I was just making comments for other people to get back to me, and have a whinge between folk on the estate.”
The court heard how some of the comments could be considered to “incite racial or religious hatred” so details of the case were sent by the local Crown Prosecution Service to the London office to consider the correct charge to bring against Hartness.
After reading pre-sentence reports from the probation service, magistrates sentenced him to a six-month community order and told him to complete 160 hours’ unpaid work.
He was also ordered to pay court costs of £85 and a £60 victim surcharge.
First published at 12:15, Wednesday, 22 January 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)