Cumbria mountain rescue heroes honoured
Last updated at 11:45, Monday, 31 December 2012
Two of Cumbria’s mountain rescue heroes have been honoured by the Queen.
Keswick Mountain Rescue Team leader Mark Hodgson and Wasdale’s Julian Carradice have each been awarded MBEs in the 2013 New Year Honours.
They have been recognised for decades of service with their lifesaving volunteer teams, having helped countless people in danger or distress on the fells or caught up in major civil emergencies, such as the horrific floods the county has endured.
The rescuers, who sacrifice work and family life to respond to alerts, feature on a list that also includes sporting stars from this summer’s London Olympics and the principal of Carlisle College.
Honours for dedicated few: pages 4-5
Opinion: page 12
First published at 11:23, Saturday, 29 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)