Cumbria mountain rescue heroes honoured
Last updated at 11:45, Monday, 31 December 2012
Two of Cumbria’s mountain rescue heroes have been honoured by the Queen.
Keswick Mountain Rescue Team leader Mark Hodgson and Wasdale’s Julian Carradice have each been awarded MBEs in the 2013 New Year Honours.
They have been recognised for decades of service with their lifesaving volunteer teams, having helped countless people in danger or distress on the fells or caught up in major civil emergencies, such as the horrific floods the county has endured.
The rescuers, who sacrifice work and family life to respond to alerts, feature on a list that also includes sporting stars from this summer’s London Olympics and the principal of Carlisle College.
Honours for dedicated few: pages 4-5
Opinion: page 12
First published at 11:23, Saturday, 29 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)