Cumbria motorbike crash pair ‘critical’
Last updated at 09:32, Monday, 04 June 2012
A motorcyclist and his pillion passenger suffered life-threatening injuries after a crash involving a van on a country road.
The man and woman were trapped under the van for about 30 minutes following the collision between Carlisle and Penrith.
Air crew doctors, paramedics and firefighters worked to get them out.
One was then given anaesthetic at the scene before both were flown by air ambulance for specialist treatment in the north east.
Police said the man, 39, and the woman, 42, both from the Carlisle area, were last night in a serious but stable condition, with critical injuries.
Then crash happened at about 12.50pm on Saturday on the C1036 road, near the junction of High Bridge and Sowerby Row, not far from the Crown pub at Southwaite.
The silver Suzuki motorcycle was travelling from the direction of Carlisle towards Hutton-in-the-Forest when it was in collision with a blue VW Transporter van going in the same direction.
The man and woman on the bike were taken to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary.
The road was closed for three hours while police carried out a detailed examination.
First published at 09:13, Monday, 04 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)