Cumbria motorbike crash pair ‘critical’
Last updated at 09:32, Monday, 04 June 2012
A motorcyclist and his pillion passenger suffered life-threatening injuries after a crash involving a van on a country road.
The man and woman were trapped under the van for about 30 minutes following the collision between Carlisle and Penrith.
Air crew doctors, paramedics and firefighters worked to get them out.
One was then given anaesthetic at the scene before both were flown by air ambulance for specialist treatment in the north east.
Police said the man, 39, and the woman, 42, both from the Carlisle area, were last night in a serious but stable condition, with critical injuries.
Then crash happened at about 12.50pm on Saturday on the C1036 road, near the junction of High Bridge and Sowerby Row, not far from the Crown pub at Southwaite.
The silver Suzuki motorcycle was travelling from the direction of Carlisle towards Hutton-in-the-Forest when it was in collision with a blue VW Transporter van going in the same direction.
The man and woman on the bike were taken to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary.
The road was closed for three hours while police carried out a detailed examination.
First published at 09:13, Monday, 04 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dozens of operations cancelled at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)
- Huge potholes making Cumbrian residents' lives a misery (18 comments)
- Cumbria police must have redesign to survive (12 comments)
- Carlisle shop for sale with warning not to tell staff (21 comments)
- Wealthy peer funds Labour to help unseat Tories in Carlisle (46 comments)
- Cumbrian postcode with fewest burglaries revealed (7 comments)
- Dog suffers horrific injuries in attack on Carlisle street (23 comments)
- Cumbria crime panel backs council tax increase plan (15 comments)
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|