Cumbria beacons will light up Hadrian's Wall in celebration
Last updated at 09:26, Monday, 04 June 2012
Hadrian's Wall will shine tonight when beacons to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee are lit.
Sixty official beacons will be hosted across this World Heritage Site, from South Shields to Ravenglass – each beacon representing a year of The Queen's reign. They will be lit simultaneously at 10.12pm tonight.
The Queen will light the national beacon in London at about 10.30pm.
Bruno Peek OBE MVO, Pageantmaster of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Beacons said: "We are delighted that 60 beacons are being lit along Hadrian's Wall, especially as the Wall is one of our country's most important ancient monuments.”
Linda Tuttiett, chief executive of Hadrian's Wall Heritage said: "
First published at 09:12, Monday, 04 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)