Cumbria beacons will light up Hadrian's Wall in celebration
Last updated at 09:26, Monday, 04 June 2012
Hadrian's Wall will shine tonight when beacons to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee are lit.
Sixty official beacons will be hosted across this World Heritage Site, from South Shields to Ravenglass – each beacon representing a year of The Queen's reign. They will be lit simultaneously at 10.12pm tonight.
The Queen will light the national beacon in London at about 10.30pm.
Bruno Peek OBE MVO, Pageantmaster of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Beacons said: "We are delighted that 60 beacons are being lit along Hadrian's Wall, especially as the Wall is one of our country's most important ancient monuments.”
Linda Tuttiett, chief executive of Hadrian's Wall Heritage said: "
First published at 09:12, Monday, 04 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (5 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (133 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (45 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (17 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Cumbria's children's service still failing (42 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|