Cumbria ambulance response times hit new target
Last updated at 12:01, Thursday, 13 December 2012
Ambulance crews in Carlisle are managing to meet tough Government targets according to latest figures.
According to the statistics, half of 10 ambulance trusts failed to meet the response target – 75 per cent of emergency calls within eight minutes – which is set by the Department of Health (DoH).
However, according to the figures, North West Ambulance Service improved last year by answering 76.7 per cent of its category A emergency calls within the eight minute target – 273,000 incidents out of a total of 355,700 calls during 2011/2012.
This compares with 73.6 per cent for the previous year and 73 per cent for the year before that.
A DoH spokesman said: “When people need help they should be able to rely on a safe, fast, 24/7 ambulance service.
“It is the responsibility of the local NHS who are best placed to ensure the services provided meet the needs of the local population.”
There were several cases which did not meet the eight minute target including:
- An elderly woman left bleeding and shivering in the street waiting 25 minutes for an ambulance after she suffered a head injury
- A young girl suffered head injuries after she fell from her bike and had to wait for almost an hour for the ambulance because the crew could not find her – she was only a mile or so from the ambulance base on the new Carlisle bypass.
Colin Todd, a national officer with the GMB union, said delays of more than an hour to emergency situations was becoming more common and when an ambulance service did meet its eight-minute target it might not send a fully manned paramedic ambulance.
He said: “Increasingly, advanced first aiders are being sent to 999 emergencies in an ambulance to hold fort until paramedic help arrives. All too often the ambulance doesn’t arrive too quickly leading to distress and patients suffering unnecessarily.”
The target was introduced by the Labour government in April 2001 and it replaced the previous 14-minute target to help reduce deaths from heart attacks.
First published at 11:22, Thursday, 13 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)