Crash closes stretch of main Cumbrian road
Last updated at 16:27, Monday, 10 March 2014
Two men were seriously hurt in a crash that closed part of a main road in Cumbria this morning.
Three vehicles were involved in the collision on the A595, which was closed between St Thomas Cross roundabout and Blackbeck roundabout, near Egremont, from about 9.30am to 2.45pm.
The 70-year-old male driver of a Mitsubishi L200 pick-up was taken to the Royal Preston Infirmary by air ambulance. He is in a critical condition, say police.
This morning we attended a head-on collision on the A595. A 70-year-old male driver was flown to Preston. pic.twitter.com/PbWl1fLQy9— Great North Air Amb (@GNairambulance) March 10, 2014
The 37-year-old male driver of a Ford Ranger pick-up, from Ulverston, was taken to the West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, where he is in a serious but stable condition.
A third vehicle, a dropside lorry, was driven by a man who was unhurt.
The fire service - which sent appliances from Egremont and Seascale to the scene - said two people were trapped and had to be cut free.
Diversions were in place via Beckermet for southbound traffic and Haile for northbound traffic.
The Egremont bypass was used to 'stack' southbound HGVs. There was no HGV access to Sellafield.
First published at 10:11, Monday, 10 March 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|